28 June 2009

The Time of the Writer - Outline

Moving away from my programming and gaming life, since neither of them particularly exist at the moment, let's focus on something I have been working on lately: writing. I thought what I'd do here was chronicle my writing process as I go. This way people can get an idea of how I'm going about my writing methods as well as get an idea as to my overall progress as I go.

One of the most helpful processes I find when it comes to writing is to create an outline of the chapters in a story idea. I simply break the idea I see in my head into chapters and create titles for those chapters, allowing me to see the chapter title and remember what is supposed to happen during it. Of course, I use the next chapter's title as an indication of how far along the chapter needs to go before moving on, too, but since my outline only encompasses the main storyline and no diversions or subplots, there's room for other chapters to take place in between.

I have been writing this one particular story which I started during the past week, and I was planning on posting chapters as I go, with Chapter I being planned to be posted today, but... Unfortunately, it's not quite finished yet. However, I will still make an update on here by revealing my chapter outline, though you'll just have the benefit of seeing chapter titles and not knowing what's going on within them.

Chapter I - A Familiar Face
Chapter II - Garrett Awakened
Chapter III - A Damaged Bond
Chapter IV - Rash Decisions
Chapter V - Shadows of the Past
Chapter VI - Subversion
Chapter VII - A Summoner's Decision
Chapter VIII - Unnecessary Distractions
Chapter IX - Never Again
Chapter X - Garrett's Guidance
Chapter XI - Reunion of the Fallen
Chapter XII - The Demon's Demon
Chapter XIII - Brotherly Love
Chapter XIV - A Sister's Shadow
Chapter XV - Walk on Water
Chapter XVI - A Contract Found
Chapter XVII - A New Strength
Chapter XVIII - Union of Thought
Chapter XIX - A Presence Expected
Chapter XX - The Light in the Darkness
Chapter XXI - The Summoner's Promise

So far 21 chapters to separate just the important main storyline ideas. And now we can get a better idea of how my progress is as I move forward. Expect more to come in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment