05 June 2009

Job Hunting

"Is the economy really that bad?"
- The Trevor on the arm-flailing fright of the modern world

At least, this was my thought until this recent email:


Sure, I've received a vast amount of rejection emails, but none of them have used the economy as the reason before. They tend to have the same generic email, of which I currently have several located in my inbox. If you've ever applied to a job through email before, you probably know the one I'm talking about:


"After carefully reviewing your experiences, we have decided to choose another candidate who is better qualified for the position."
-[Enter Company Name Here]

Though after getting a sting from your first couple emails at this statement, the lines directly afterward seem to make you feel a bit better somehow:

"We will hold your resume on file and will contact you if any new positions become available matching your experiences."
-[Enter Same Company Name Here as Above]

There are some slight variations to the generic-edness, such as the "don't respond to this email" which I somewhat find rude, but they're all pretty much the same. I would say that these rejection letters are fine, though. Should a company put a lot of attention to someone who they're not going to hire? No, perhaps not.

In the beginning, I did feel emotionally attached to such emails. A part of me died inside, yes, but that moment has long passed. This goes with any job: expect failure ahead.

"You are guaranteed to be wasting the time of 95% of the employers you apply for."
-The Trevor on Job Hunting

"87.78% of statistics are made up on the spot."
-The Trevor on Comic Relief

With this in mind, it is better to apply to more jobs -- more than you have now, in case you are on a job hunt at the moment. You'll never know if a place will have the possibility of hiring you if you don't give them a chance at all. A 5% chance is better than 0, if we go from that statistic I made up.

Well, I'd better get back to it,
Trevor Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment