19 June 2012

On Being a Fan

When it comes to being a fan of someone when I realize they have a public email, I tend to just make a spontaneous decision to email them at some point with the same generic email they probably receive by countless fans every day. And then I get all excited to check my inbox when a reply never arrives. Sorry Trevor, but too much praise just comes off as creepy. To be fair, I wouldn't know how to respond to a "OMG I love what you do, you inspire me, and I look forward to every breathe you take!" type of email, either (though for the record, mine have never been that bad).

So I shouldn't get that bent out of shape for never receiving a response from John Green ages ago.

It's the times that I make inquiries or have meaningful things to say that responses tend to occur. Take the time I asked WheezyWaiter what format he wanted his wink clips in. For those who don't know, WheezyWaiter features clips of his fans winking at the end of all of his videos. He doesn't mind what format they're in, and a couple months later my wink clip was in one of his videos.

Also the time I sent Terry Goodkind an inquiry through the mail, since he doesn't have a public email but has an address on his website. I got a rejected reply to my question, but the signed postcard made up for it.

Now, I've been a fan of CommunityChannel for a while, but I never had anything meaningful to say outside of the generic "ZOMG Nat, you're amazing!!!<3!!!" That was, until I started going through some of her earlier videos and had a ridiculous thought. And yes, I really did send this email:

No comments:

Post a Comment